Reduce Allergies by Treating the Root Cause - Vitatek Solutions
Back to blog

Reduce Allergies by Treating the Root Cause

Allergies are one of the most common chronic illnesses in North America, affecting more than 25% of adults and children alike. Allergy-related conditions including hay fever, asthma, and eczema are the most common health conditions affecting children. Allergy symptoms can include sneezing, itchy eyes, itchy ears, itchy palate, fatigue, headache, sinus pain, sinus pressure, runny nose, skin rashes, wheezing, cough, and more! Despite how common allergies are, and how benign the symptoms might seem, allergies can pose a serious threat to our health. While most allergy symptoms are usually bothersome and reduce quality of life for allergy sufferers, those who experience such severe reactions as anaphylaxis may be at risk of death if not treated appropriately and in a timely manner. In the United States, 63-99 people die each year from anaphylaxis.

Most of us are familiar with the impact of outdoor allergens, including pollen from trees, grasses, and flowers, which can cause allergy symptoms that worsen in the spring and summer months. However, many of us tend to overlook the even greater impact of often invisible indoor allergens, which can cause allergy symptoms year-round. These include mold spores and odours from bacteria, mold, mildew, and even pets. Indoor allergens can lurk in our homes, workplaces, vehicles, and in the public buildings we frequent, making us sick all year long! Unfortunately it is often the case that even when these bacterial and mold sources are addressed, the products used to control growth of microbes contain a variety of harmful chemicals and fragrances that further aggravate allergy sufferers! Many people are left relying heavily on antihistamine medications and asthma inhaler medications to manage their allergy symptoms, and these can be costly and come with unwanted side effects like drowsiness, which can interfere with work performance.

The Allergy Dilemma

Instead of leaving allergy sufferers to manage bothersome symptoms for years on end, we need to be focused on greatly reducing or even eliminating allergy symptoms altogether by treating the source. The problem is that so many of the cleaning products conventionally used to kill bacteria and mold also contain a variety of chemicals, dyes, and fragrances that can also be very aggravating to allergy sufferers! We are left eliminating one problem and introducing another! There is a better way to help keep your business, home, workplace, or facility free of allergy-causing triggers like bacteria and mold without introducing harmful triggering chemicals, dyes, and fragrances.

Highly Effective Allergen Eliminator

Vital Oxide is a disinfectant solution that helps reduce allergies by eliminating allergens at the source, which can profoundly improve quality of life for both adults and children. Vital Oxide has been shown to prevent and reduce mold and mold spores for up to four weeks, and it effectively kills 99.999% of bacteria, eliminating bacterial odours from pets and other sources. It can be applied in a variety of ways, from the conventional spray-and-wipe method to application by a fogger or electrostatic sprayer for larger areas requiring disinfection.

The best part: Vital Oxide has been proven not to trigger allergy symptoms. It is not harmful to skin and can even safely be applied directly to pets and their bedding. Unlike many chemical cleaning products used in the market, there are no added dyes or fragrances. Safety studies have shown that Vital Oxide does not irritate the respiratory tissues and is non-toxic if ingested. There are many cleaning products that will effectively kill pathogens but that are so corrosive and toxic to our health they require us to wear burdensome personal protective equipment in order to handle them. This is not the case with Vital Oxide. It is safe to be handled even by bare hands, and if a spill occurs, no special measures are required for clean up. Another wonderful feature of Vital Oxide is that it produces no harmful byproducts or volatile organic compounds. In fact, it breaks down into a simple salt! Isn’t it nice to finally find a powerful disinfectant that can handle the toughest bugs without destroying the environment or our health? Yeah, we think so too.

Using Vital Oxide to eliminate bacteria, mold, mildew, and viruses from the environment can be a powerful way to reduce allergy symptoms, but it’s not the only thing you can do. If you are noticing that one or more people in your home, business, organization, or workplace is exhibiting allergy symptoms, there are a few more steps you can take to help:

  1.  Introduce a scent-free policy. Artificial fragrances and perfumes are a leading cause of allergy symptoms and respiratory challenges. It sounds so simple, but scents are truly everywhere! Some of the areas where you may need to watch out for hidden fragrances are: laundry detergents, cleaning chemicals, air freshener sprays and plug-ins, and personal care products like shampoo and deodorant. In the case of scent avoidance, it really does take a village. Encourage all employees, staff, and public to refrain from using scented products. It only takes one scent in one product on one person to trigger allergy symptoms.
  2. Do not allow individuals to smoke within six meters (or more) of doorways or windows. Cigarette smoke is a major allergy trigger for many allergy sufferers.
  3. Keep surfaces free of dust. Dust is another major allergy trigger for sufferers.
  4. Ensure ventilation systems are maintained and air filters changed regularly. Consider using a HEPA filtration system, which can be a commercial unit or a stand-alone unit for smaller spaces.
  5. If you notice any water leaks in the building, get them assessed and repaired right away. Mold starts to grow within 24 hours. It is a good idea to have the area assessed for mold and mold spores after water leaks are repaired, as mold can grow even if you don’t see it. Mold is a major cause of illness and can certainly trigger allergy symptoms.
  6.  If a space is carpeted, consider removing the carpet, as carpet can be a breeding ground for mold, bacteria, and dust.

In a world in which our immune systems are always fending off a host of bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens, we really need to do whatever we can to minimize potential health exposures in the home, public buildings, and in places of business. Protecting each other and working together is truly a kind and human thing to do. Learn more about how Vital Oxide can eliminate the germs and help you to improve quality of life for all.